History of BRFU
The Brunei Rugby Football Union registered officially as a society in November 2004, and has been formally admitted as a full member of the Asian Rugby Football Union.
Rugby Union has already been played in Brunei since the 1950s. According to the archives of the Royal Brunei Yacht Club, a ‘Town Rugby Football Team’ played a team from the Seria district in 1957. In the mid 1970s, rugby in Brunei grew in popularity with the influx of expatriates from Britain and active participation from the Royal Brunei Armed Forces (RBAF), Brunei Shell Recreation Club, Royal Brunei Yacht Club, the Panaga Club and the British Garrison in Seria.
The Brunei Rugby Football Union was set up in 1977, affiliated to the Rugby Football Union (RFU) of Twickenham. From then on, Brunei regularly sent teams to participate in regional ‘Sevens’ competitions, particularly the SCC Sevens in Singapore and the prestigious Hong Kong Sevens.
A domestic competition took place from 1978 to 1993, involving regular teams from the Panaga Club, the Royal Brunei Yacht Club, the British Garrison, the Royal Brunei Armed Forces, the Royal Brunei Police and Pirates RFC.
Numerous clubs also organized Rugby 7s and 10s competitions from time to time, but the large number of British and Commonwealth expatriates leaving the sultanate in the late 1990s led to a decline in the number of such tournaments.
Despite the fact that the Brunei Rugby Football Union has been around since 1977, it was never officially registered with the Registrar of Society until the November of 2004.
Since joining the Asian Rugby Union, the Brunei Rugby Team has taken part in a number of international competitions. Although presently recording a rather unfavorable Win-Loss ratio in the international rugby scene, Brunei rugby is continually improving with efforts being concentrated in the development of youth players through the Under-19 Squad.